How To Stay On Track With An Organic Lifestyle During The Holidays
Holidays occur throughout the whole year. During the months of October through December, when all the big holidays arrive, we give ourselves the permission to gorge a little more than normal thus resulting in forgetting our “diets”. Let’s face it, those holidays are all centered around food first and family and friends second. Our coworkers bring in all these amazing cookies and cakes into the office and there are so many sweets lingering around the house. We tell ourselves “It’s the holidays, it’s okay.” I am sure many of you can relate to that statement. The holidays are a time to enjoy and celebrate with our families and friends and of course to eat our family’s best dishes. The most important thing to remember and to teach ourselves is portion control so that we are able to maintain our weight, still eat our favorite foods, and not pack on those lovely holiday pounds. Also, to maintain an organic lifestyle during this time of year, the best way is to cook with organic ingredients and only keep organics in the house. I am here to tell you that it is possible to get through the holiday season without ruining your organic lifestyle and without buying new pants.
Now if you are like me, who is very devoted to an organic lifestyle, how do I possibly make it through the holiday times with eating organic and maintaining my weight?
Here are a few things that I do.
- Since I love to cook and bake, I have taken on the liberty to cook at almost all of our family functions during the holidays. That way, I am certain that everything has been prepared using organic ingredients.
- I make all of our family’s favorite holiday dishes using organic ingredients when in the past we used conventional ingredients.
- Sometimes we have parties or holidays at my family’s house and they have been so supportive that they will make organic dishes for me. Also, I will usually make something as well and bring it to the party.
- Even with the holiday season I still shop, eat, and keep organic food in the house. I wouldn’t sabotage my lifestyle just because these holidays are surrounded by high fattening, un-organic, sugar laden, tempting foods. But, I want to be clear and tell you that I still do eat high fattening, sugar laden foods but made organically and of course in moderation.
- The way I maintain my weight during the holidays is really all about portion control and eating small amounts and trying my hardest not to take seconds. I have taught myself the power of portion control and self control and that has made all the difference.
Here are a few things you can do.
- You can offer to cook for your families and find some healthy alternative recipes that still taste great.
- Keep organic foods in your house.
- Go out and buy organic ingredients for your recipes. This is the only sure way that you know you are sticking to an organic lifestyle.
- If you are going to a family or friends house during the holidays, make a few dishes or desserts that you know you will eat and with organic ingredients.
- Don’t be afraid to tell the host of the holiday dinner you are going to, of your dietary lifestyle.
- Portion Control is the most important to learn and it takes a lot of discipline but you can do it!! It really is all about mind over food. The best advise is to use smaller plates. The smaller the plate you use, the smaller you will take. Also, if you try something and don’t like it, don’t force yourself to eat it.
Food brings us together and reminds us of our memories and our family. What makes the holidays so special are the people we share it with especially those friends and family members we only get to see once a year. So please enjoy the food that has been so lovingly prepared. Just remember that you have the willpower to stay on track during the holidays and you can eat food without it eating you.
I hope you all have a wonderful holiday season with your loved ones!