Thankful for Organics
I am so thankful for organics. This is the time of year where we reflect on all the things we are thankful for. Although everyday is a chance to show gratitude, this time of year is especially important. This year has been a fantastic year! There have been many ups and downs but I am so thankful for it all. Continue reading “Thankful for Organics”
CANDY CORN MILKSHAKE
What is the most traditional Halloween candy you could possibly think of? CANDY CORN! Candy corn is delicious and nostalgic. Traditional candy corn is made with artificial colors and flavors. Sweet’s Candy Company created a natural candy corn. It is made with non-GMO ingredients, no artificial colors, and it is gluten free. The original candy corn is layered with white, orange, and yellow colors. This brand contains a full color on each piece. The colors are made with fruit and vegetable extracts like pumpkin, carrot, and apple. They smell like marshmallows with a hint of orange and lemon. They are delicious! I wanted to make a candy corn milkshake because 1. I love milkshakes! And 2. Because I love candy corn! . This candy corn milkshake is so easy to make! You can make candy corn milkshakes for Halloween and serve them at your parties.
These are the brands and ingredients I used to make this delicious Candy Corn Milkshake recipe. You can buy Sweet’s Candy Corn at Whole Foods Market. Also, if you want to make a candy corn rim on your glass, you can melt an organic white chocolate bar to make the candy corn stick. I used Green&Black’s organic white chocolate. You can find Green&Black’s chocolate bars at Whole Foods Market and most natural markets.
- Put all ingredients into a blender. Blend for about 30 seconds to a minute until all the candy corn is broken down and all the ingredients are well blended. Pour into a cup and top with organic whipped cream and crushed candy corn.
- If you are going to make the candy corn rim do this part first.
- Melt the white chocolate bar in either a double broiler on the stove or in the microwave.
- Once the chocolate is melted, brush onto the rim of the cup.
- Put the cup in the fridge for 30 seconds if your chocolate is melty.Make sure you don't leave it in the fridge for too long.
- Take the cup out of the fridge and place the candy corn on top of the white chocolate.
- Place back in fridge for 5 minutes.
- Then blend your milkshake and add in to the candy corn rimmed cup.
- Top with whipped cream and crushed candy corn.
I hope you all enjoy my Candy Corn Milkshake recipe! Have a wonderful Halloween! I hope you celebrate with lots of treats that don’t contain any tricks!
Organic Peppermint Cookies and Creme Milkshake
This organic peppermint cookies and creme milkshake is a delicious treat for the holidays. It is so creamy with a hint of peppermint. You can never go wrong with a cookies and creme milkshake. I use all organic ingredients to make this milkshake. I recently found organic peppermint cookie sandwiches at Whole Foods Market in Savannah, Georgia last week and as soon as I got home from my trip I wanted to create a milkshake to share with all of you.
(These are the brands I used for the ingredients to the organic peppermint cookies and creme milkshake recipe)
Organic Peppermint Cookies and Creme Milkshake
- 1 cup grassfed organic whole milk
- 2 cups organic vanilla ice cream
- 1/2 tsp organic peppermint extract
- 5 organic peppermint cookie sandwiches (I used Tasty Brand)
- optional toppings
- whipped cream
- crushed up peppermint stick
- crushed up cookie sandwiches
- Place all ingredients into blender with some ice cubes. Blend until desired consistency. Top with whipped cream, crushed up peppermint stick candy, and crushed up cookie sandwiches. Enjoy!
I hope you all have a wonderful holiday season with the ones you love. I wish you all the joy and happiness! If you are looking for a special treat for you or for Santa, I hope this organic peppermint cookies and creme milkshake will suffice. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
How To Stay On Track With An Organic Lifestyle During The Holidays
Holidays occur throughout the whole year. During the months of October through December, when all the big holidays arrive, we give ourselves the permission to gorge a little more than normal thus resulting in forgetting our “diets”. Let’s face it, those holidays are all centered around food first and family and friends second. Our coworkers bring in all these amazing cookies and cakes into the office and there are so many sweets lingering around the house. We tell ourselves “It’s the holidays, it’s okay.” I am sure many of you can relate to that statement. The holidays are a time to enjoy and celebrate with our families and friends and of course to eat our family’s best dishes. The most important thing to remember and to teach ourselves is portion control so that we are able to maintain our weight, still eat our favorite foods, and not pack on those lovely holiday pounds. Also, to maintain an organic lifestyle during this time of year, the best way is to cook with organic ingredients and only keep organics in the house. I am here to tell you that it is possible to get through the holiday season without ruining your organic lifestyle and without buying new pants.
Now if you are like me, who is very devoted to an organic lifestyle, how do I possibly make it through the holiday times with eating organic and maintaining my weight?
Here are a few things that I do.
- Since I love to cook and bake, I have taken on the liberty to cook at almost all of our family functions during the holidays. That way, I am certain that everything has been prepared using organic ingredients.
- I make all of our family’s favorite holiday dishes using organic ingredients when in the past we used conventional ingredients.
- Sometimes we have parties or holidays at my family’s house and they have been so supportive that they will make organic dishes for me. Also, I will usually make something as well and bring it to the party.
- Even with the holiday season I still shop, eat, and keep organic food in the house. I wouldn’t sabotage my lifestyle just because these holidays are surrounded by high fattening, un-organic, sugar laden, tempting foods. But, I want to be clear and tell you that I still do eat high fattening, sugar laden foods but made organically and of course in moderation.
- The way I maintain my weight during the holidays is really all about portion control and eating small amounts and trying my hardest not to take seconds. I have taught myself the power of portion control and self control and that has made all the difference.
Here are a few things you can do.
- You can offer to cook for your families and find some healthy alternative recipes that still taste great.
- Keep organic foods in your house.
- Go out and buy organic ingredients for your recipes. This is the only sure way that you know you are sticking to an organic lifestyle.
- If you are going to a family or friends house during the holidays, make a few dishes or desserts that you know you will eat and with organic ingredients.
- Don’t be afraid to tell the host of the holiday dinner you are going to, of your dietary lifestyle.
- Portion Control is the most important to learn and it takes a lot of discipline but you can do it!! It really is all about mind over food. The best advise is to use smaller plates. The smaller the plate you use, the smaller you will take. Also, if you try something and don’t like it, don’t force yourself to eat it.
Food brings us together and reminds us of our memories and our family. What makes the holidays so special are the people we share it with especially those friends and family members we only get to see once a year. So please enjoy the food that has been so lovingly prepared. Just remember that you have the willpower to stay on track during the holidays and you can eat food without it eating you.
I hope you all have a wonderful holiday season with your loved ones!